Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Deportation is no Taboo



This is a success story. I decided to write this post in response to the fear people have for new opportunities. Fear of the unknown is natural yes, but what happens if you take that step and you stumble across gold? I want to touch on the sensitive part of the word DEPORTATION.
What does it mean to be deported? To be deported from a country simply means to be displaced or removed from a country; planned or for other cases, unplanned . Also this is known as being "forced" out of a territory. Most people will tell you that being deported is the worst thing that can happen to an immigrant. But is it really? Or is it a way of being told that it’s time to move on to another project? Another life? Another atmosphere? Another greater opportunity?

Last year alone, over 450 000 immigrants were removed from the US (www.ice.gov). I cannot tell you how many of these immigrants left the country with melancholy moods, regretting every step that has caused them to be removed from their country of choice. But most arrive in their motherland with a story like "ahh, I just came home for a break. I will be going back soon." Liar! You have been given roughly a decade to stay out of the particular country. A decade or more to revise your life plan really. Now those that don't get the point would attempt fighting the law; spending more money than intended and most likely loosing, because in the end you would have to return to your country to file an appeal and wait for the authorities to either approve or disapprove the appeal. But is it really worth it? 
You see I am a believer of trying something new. I am an optimist. By the way, if you haven't heard of this great guy Robert D.Smith, it's time to discover him. He wrote a post not too long ago about starting over. A new start is nothing to fear but to embrace http://www.therobertd.com/its-time-to-start-over/
"Daily, you have to start over in so many areas of your life" -Robert D. Smith.

Back to our subject, why is the word "deportation" a taboo???
It is a taboo because of the stress put into traveling in the first place. Well put aside the fact that most developing countries are highly populated with individuals looking for that place where the grass is greener; many of these people borrow and spend a lot of money in the first place, in order to travel. When they leave their countries, put in mind that they are now referred to as “aliens” until a solid legal residency is attained in their country of choice. So they are already encumbered with how to get rid of the title “alien.” This is more money spending. Also, imagine how many of these people leave seeking for a better life for their families.

Deportation has become such a taboo because people take pride in anything that looks like success, and being removed from a country against one's will does not look like moving forward. Or does it?

Let me share a bit of my story. I lived a good life in America for 10 years as an immigrant; at least to me, I was living a good life in spite of the fact that I was going to school and paying 3 times more of the tuition rate than any American Suzy-Q would pay. I did all I could to stay in school due to my visa, a F-1 visa which is given to proclaimed students. Now, if it was my choice to go there on such a visa is a different question. I was barely fifteen.
Now, working 2 jobs and diligently paying my taxes, as well as leaning on the proceeds of my creative writing, I managed to make ends meet as a Biology major/Nursing minor student. I wished to be a doctor with great bedside manner. I stayed as far of trouble as I could, was part of a church choir and really just staying out of trouble because you don't have to search too long to find trouble in my neighborhood.
From making plans to be the best I could be, I landed behind bars in the Erie County Jail in New York; not a detention facility, no. The jail where they put sex offenders, drug traffickers, rapist and the likes. Oh boy did I have the fright of my life!
The issue at hand was that my visa expired. How did this happen? Due to advice given to me from one of my school's international students’ advisers, as well as personal issues; and the result of being caught with such was deportation. Now being deported also had its own long process which I didn't mind but did I have to do time for it? Really? Really?
 
Honestly speaking I had no problem going back to my country; I had no reason to not want to go back. I just thought I could focus on my mission, accomplish it then move on. My story was different.
From the jails horrid experience, I went back to my country where I saw opportunities literally EVERYWHERE!! You think American armies are the only ones that could be all that they could be?? My country, Nigeria has greater opportunities to be all that you can be. The green grass I was looking for was on this side of the ocean. With my parents and husband (oh yes I got married also in America to tell you how much I was building my future there) we drew up a plan for success.
Wanna know more about how I found my success? Subscribe to my blog for follow up posts

I would love to hear you. Do subscribe http://loveonpoint.blogspot.be 

No comments:

Post a Comment